Central Board of Film Certification has been on a ban spree from a while. From censoring kissing scenes in James Bond Spectre to banning the trailer of Aligarh; they have done it all.
But, the s*** hit the fan when CBFC demanded 89 cuts in Udta Punjab, a film which is trying to impart social awareness. The board even wanted the name of the state to be dropped from the title. However, the entire film industry spoke out against the CBFC and its chairperson Pahlaj Nihalani and in no uncertain terms showed how disappointed they were with the entire process.
We now have the details of the cuts censor board wants in the film; and going by the report, it’s sort of evident that the censorship demand is driven by motives which have nothing to do with the film’s effect on the audience or how it portrays the state.
Here are some of the cuts which CBFC wants
1. Cut: Delete the signboard of Punjab in the beginning
2. Delete the name of cities like Punjab, Jalandhar, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Tarn Taran and more (All reference of Punjab cities in the dialogues/songs anywhere in the film should be removed)
3. From Song Number 1: Name of a drug (References to drug nowhere in the film whould be present)
4. Words from song 3 (Delete the word ‘Chitta’ from the song)
6. Delete Abuses
7. Delete the word elections, MP, party, Party Worker, MLA, Punjab parliament(No govt. rep references: 38 mins)
8. Song no:3 Delete the scene of a scratching Sardar.
9. Censor board wants long disclaimers like: The film focuses on the rising menace of drugs and the war against drugs and is an attempted effects of drugs. We acknowledge he battle against drugs being fought by the government and police, but it can’t be won unless people of India unite against this menace”
You can watch the full video here
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow)
June 8, 2016